Note: during the Covid pandemic while in-person services are suspended, a private, virtual prenatal class is available. Email email@example.com to set up your class.
Preparing for breastfeeding helps you get off to a good start. A small group prenatal class provides the information, skills and confidence needed for successful breastfeeding. The class is taught by Beverley Rae, a board certified lactation consultant with more than 25 years experience, at Breastfeeding Resources, 64 Manhasset Woods Rd, Manhasset, NY 11030.
Plan to attend about 4 – 8 weeks before your due date. Visit the Events page for class dates and fee schedule or email firstname.lastname@example.org. When couples attend, the second registration is free.
A private class can be arranged to plan for breastfeeding in special situations: when expecting twins and triplets, after breast reduction surgery, when breastfeeding was difficult with a previous baby, and for women with a chronic illness or disability. If an expectant mother is on bed rest, an in-home prenatal class is an option.
Some couples also choose a private class when the timing of the group class doesn’t fit their schedule or due date.
Group and Private Class Curriculum includes:
- Benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby
- Five rules for successful breastfeeding
- Positioning and latch-on techniques
- Getting started in the hospital
- What to expect during the first weeks at home
- Avoiding common difficulties
- Nutrition for the nursing mother
- Managing a toddler and the new baby
- Father’s role in successful breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding and returning to work
- Pumping and storing breastmilk
- Plenty of time for questions
Missed your class and baby is due any day?
Download Beverley Rae’s app, Breastfeeding Central, rated a best breastfeeding app by Parents Magazine. Use it to prepare for breastfeeding now, help you get started in the hospital and manage the early weeks with confidence. Save your favorite sections with the app’s bookmark feature.